Breakfast with Author Margaret Cotton
Saturday, March 23 at 10 AM
Our Calendar has changed. Please "click" here to view events held at the Library. Please "click" here to view classes and events held at 503 7th Ave.
OUR MAKERSPACE IS OPEN AND LOCATED
AT THE LIBRARY ANNEX, 503 7TH AVE.
You can now download free eBooks from the Belmar Public Library by visiting:
Mission Statement: The Belmar Public Library will work with the community to provide materials, information, technology and opportunities to educate, enrich and entertain people of all ages and backgrounds.
Vision Statement: The Board of Trustees and Library staff work together to promote and encourage a lifelong love of reading and learning. We celebrate the diversity of our community and promote understanding of our differences.
Values Statement: The Board of Trustees, Library staff and volunteers of the Belmar Public Library recognize the following shared values:
- We recognize that people are important and we celebrate their diversity;
- We will act with fairness, honesty and integrity;
- We will inform and educate our community of the services and programs of the Library;
- We will treat our patrons, colleagues and volunteers with dignity and respect.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees on December 12, 2011
BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
Mark Walsifer - Mayor
David Hallman - Superintendent, Belmar Elementary School
President- Sharon Russell-Fowler
Vice President/Secretatry - Patricia Hutchinson
Treasurer - Geri Pitocco
Bruce Blattner, Kerry McNulty-White, Johanna Roper-Robinson, William Young
HISTORY OF THE BELMAR LIBRARY
On August 11, 1911 a group of ladies met at the home of Miss Louise Phillips. She and her friends were greatly interested in giving to young people the highly organized activities that could be obtained through a Public Library. With this goal in mind the ladies got together and opened the First Belmar Library on September 23, 1911. During the first year the library grew so rapidly that on May 1, 1912 it had to be moved to a larger building. As interest became greater it finally was decided that even this space was too small.
The Belmar Public Library as it now stands was opened to the public on December 4, 1914. The building is Colonial in style and Edward Tilton of New York was the architect. The plans for the Library were thought to be so excellent by the Carnegie Corporation that they adopted them as the standard for future libraries all over the Country.
In 1935 a portrait of Andrew Carnegie was presented to the Library by the Carnegie Corporation. It is a copy of the portrait painted by Luis Mora. One was given to each of the Carnegie Libraries in the Centennial.
- "Belmar In Retrospect" by Grace Trott Roper
Belmar Residents are welcome to join the Library by showing two proofs of residency.
Membership for non-Belmar Residents: $25.00
Replace a Library Card: $1.00
Late Books: 5 cents per book, per day
Late DVDs: $1.00 per DVD, per day
Copies: 20 cents per page
Fax: $2 for the first page; $1 for every page thereafter
Computer Copies: 20 cents per page